Saturday, February 7, 2009

25 Things

Several of my friends have tagged me on Facebook in their 25 Things, and I've decided to give in to the peer pressure. So, for the first and last time, here's a silly little blog about me.

1. I am really bad at the computer. The only reason that I got this blog started is because my friends Jenny Ruth and Andrew helped me set it up. I have to type this list on my blog because I can't figure out how to do it on Facebook... Sad.

2. The best day of my life was my wedding day. I am always wishing that I could relive that day just one more time. Once, I put my dress back on and wore it around my house. (No one else was home.)

3. The scariest thing I ever did was to move 10 hours away from my family to a state where I only knew one person. (B-Ray is the best!!)

4. My house is old and I love it. I would rather live in an old house with character than a new house with modern comforts.

5. When I was in 3rd grade I never talked. I would whisper answers to my best friend Jenna and she would tell our teacher what I said. (When I tell people that now they don't believe me.) 

6. Once I had a boyfriend compare me to a Krispy Kreme doughnut. (At the time I thought that was a good thing... Ugh! Stupid girl!!)

7. I don't believe in government bailouts. 

8. When I'm in a wedding (mine or someone else's) I get a spray tan, whiten my teeth, wear fake eyelashes, have my hair done... the works! I think it's only right to go the extra mile when you're a bridesmaid. No one wants ugly wedding pictures!

9. I have known since high school that I want to adopt children. 

10. I hated high school. I would NEVER go back... not for a million dollars!

11. Cooking is my therapy. (My Aunt Joy passed on her love of cooking to me. My Uncle Malcolm gave me his passion for good wine!)

12. Once I ate a piece of combo pie (peanut butter on top/ brownie on bottom) that was so good I almost cried. It was embarrassing.

13. I would rather read a good book than watch T.V. I just finished a great one by a girl named Renee Altson called, Stumbling Toward Faith. It is not for the faint of heart

14. My husband and I looked up the meaning of our names the other day. We laughed because mine said, "dweller by the dark stream". If you knew me, you'd think this was really funny. Sometimes I have a dark side.

15. One time my boss told me that I am smarter than people give me credit for. (Is that a compliment?)

16. I am a twin, but my sister and I live far apart. Sometimes we miss each other so much it hurts.

17. After college I went to seminary. People there thought I was stupid because I wear makeup and talk with a southern accent. (Thanks to Jenn and Katie I stayed anyway.)

18. Sometimes people think that I'm mean because I'm a registered Republican . (Secretly I tried to become a Democrat, but then I realized that I don't believe in big government.)

19. I believe that people have the capacity to change if they really want to.

20. My nephew was born at 27 weeks. A former Planned Parenthood nurse told me that he wouldn't be able to survive... He did.

21. I love rescue animals. My husband and I have two dogs and a cat. They all sleep in the bed with us.

22. I am a Christian. I hate when people talk about Christianity like it's a bad thing. I believe you can love God and people at the same time.

23. I have some of the best friends in the world. I had 13 bridesmaids in my wedding, and I love each and every one of them! (Some people think that 13 bridesmaids is tacky... I think it's southern.)

24. My mother-in-law has a cozy home. I love to visit her. We sit on the couch, by the fireplace, in our pajamas and drink coffee. 

25. My goal in life is to live close to my family again. The happiest times of my life involve spending time with people that I love. My family is the best!!

3 comments:

  1. "I don't believe in government bailouts."

    Depends on the situation. With the current one, no, I don't agree. If these big corporations are going to adhere to capitalism, they can't go crying to the government when they fail. I guess it all comes down to what you believe a government is responsible for and what services it should provide its people. No one is right or wrong in their opinion about big or small government, it's just a preference. Unfortunately, we are not all on the same page.

    It's actually really interesting because a lot of Jesus' teachings are about spreading the wealth. Read "A Model of Christian Charity" by John Winthrop. So should the government be responsible for spreading the wealth or should Christians? If no, then why should Christians be against the legalization of abortion? Shouldn't we just preach in our communities and leave the legislative aspect to the government?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think it is another kind of "bailout" to say that christians should never take a stand on political issues. do i believe that all of our problems can be solved by political means? No. But at the same time, i am a christian, as well as a voting american citizen. should my voice be silenced simply because i follow jesus? i don't think this has to be EITHER political OR religious. there's a middle ground here. christians have every right to voice their objection to a government that they believe is unjust (abortion) or unfair (bailouts to only certain businesses). some of the things i post are purely opinion. of course there are intelligent individuals who believe in "big government" and they have a legitimate argument. (obviously, i don't agree, but i'm not saying that they're unchristian.)

    basically, i believe that when it comes to christianity, there should be congruence between both our words and our actions. if we simply preach what we believe but do nothing to support those words, we are wasting our breath. the church should teach the words of christ, but we also have a responsibility to live that out. maybe that takes the form of social justice, political involvement, etc.? i have chosen to vote as a social and fiscal conservative. that does not mean that i believe the republican party can save us. i simply believe that it is the lesser of two evils. for eternal change, we need something much bigger than america or politics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney!!! I am so glad I came across your blog.. I found it from Jenny Ruth's! Preston and I miss you guys.. our Easter brunch this year won't be the same without you. Give Steve a big hug from us :)

    ReplyDelete