Monday, January 26, 2009

Birth of a New Nation?

Friday afternoon, While most of us were winding down from our long work week, our government (specifically our President) was preparing (and signing) legislation that would send our tax dollars overseas to fund "family planning" in foreign countries. That's right America, although we're broke and our nation is in a severe economic crisis, we have magically found millions of dollars to use in order to abort unwanted babies in third world countries. (Well thank heavens President Obama is going to end the war! I would hate for America to use tax dollars to shed innocent blood.)

Let's put party politics aside for a moment. I don't think you need to be a conservative or a liberal to see the dichotomous thinking here. (You'd have to be blind not to see it!) Out of one side of his mouth President Obama speaks about values, integrity, honesty, and restoring the American people's trust in our government. However, he conveniently uses a sleepy Friday afternoon to reverse a controversial piece of legislation. Where was the mainstream media then? Is there even one of you who read a news report about this on Saturday morning? Did Matt Lauer or Katie Couric cover this on their cable news shows? I don't know about you, but that does very little to restore my hope in government. It gives me even less hope for the next four years.

Do not misunderstand me. I want President Obama to lead our country with integrity. I desperately hope that we will look back and see that our 44th president was a man of honor who displayed leadership and humility. Unfortunately, it is this kind of power play that makes me feel hopeless instead of hopeful. I'm not even sure our President can articulate his views on human life. Does he believe that all life is precious, or does it just apply to those with voices to speak? Does he believe in protecting everyone or only those who can stand up and fight? These are questions that deserve an answer.

Now, there's something else that we need to be aware of regarding family planning. President Obama is not the only one in our government that is a huge advocate for abortion and so called "women's rights". (Please keep in mind that I myself am a conservative feminist, so I'd be the first one to stand up for legitimate rights regarding women.) However, Nancy Pelosi and others in the democratic party are pushing for the Freedom of Choice Act. This is legislation that would open the floodgates, so to speak, on abortion rights. This includes, but is not limited to, partial birth abortion.  

As Christians, we are responsible for protecting the sanctity of life. If we choose to ignore this issue, no one else will address it. We cannot live our lives on auto pilot thinking that someone else will speak for us. God has given all of us the ability to speak so that we can defend those who have no voice. Please, please, please stand up for what is right.

For more information on the Freedom of Choice Act, please visit the Fight FOCA website. You can also sign the petition against this bill while you're there!


4 comments:

  1. You go girl! Can we expect to see Courtney Layson on our ballots in 2012?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a walking liberal cliche, but abortion still confuses me. In some cases, it is murder; in some cases, I feel that it is necessary and humane. In some cases, I feel it is best left up to the parents. I try my best to leave religion out of it. I think God is too big for politics.

    "Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God’s." Matthew 22:21

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment Sarahlen. I definitely believe that we should, "render to Caesar what is Caesar's...". However, life does not belong to Caesar (or any other government for that matter). Perhaps the answer is to leave politics out of life. What do you think? (I hope you'll keep reading/commenting...I like to hear the ideas others present.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew this legislation was going to be on the block at some point fairly soon, but was not aware that this travesty had already transpired. What a sadly convenient shade a failing economy can be to issues of utter importance. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

    ReplyDelete